Covid-19 and the 2020 Nationals

My Fellow Sailors,
I hope this message finds you all safe and healthy. The National C Scow Sailing Association’s Board of Directors met let weekend to discuss the current situation with COVID-19 and its possible ramifications on the sailing schedule. As I’m writing this, Springfield, The Icebreaker, and The Mother’s Day Regatta have all been cancelled. While we all want to be on the water racing as soon as possible, the safety of our sailors has to be our top priority. For the National Championship Regatta to take place on its scheduled date, we must be confident that no one would be taking unnecessary or inadvisable risks by attending. There are innumerable rumors, reports, and predictions regarding the course this virus will take, but in the end none of us know exactly how this is going to play out. With that in mind, on Monday, May 4th, the NCSSA board has decided to make a final announcement regarding the status of the 2020 NCSSA National Championships scheduled to be held June 19-21 in Muskegon, MI at the Muskegon Yacht Club. This will allow us to carefully consider whether the disease has indeed peaked and is forecasted to be a non-issue by the dates of our regatta, while also giving our competitors and Muskegon Yacht Club ample time plan accordingly. We will be monitoring the situation and our goal is to be transparent in our decision making. If you have any questions or thoughts, my email is [email protected] and please don’t be afraid to reach out! Stay safe everyone!
Andrew Bohl
National C Scow Sailing Association